The United Arab Emirates is a unique state that has turned into a successful country in less than half a century. Today, the Emirates are thriving, as is their colorful capital. Abu Dhabi is the greenest city in the country, it is also called “Manhattan in the Middle East.” It is here that you can see with your own eyes the interweaving of the traditions of the East and modern architecture. Our review is dedicated to the most interesting places in the capital of the UAE. Abu Dhabi – attractions, unique color, luxury and wealth. To make the trip fascinating and leave only positive emotions, take a map of Abu Dhabi attractions with a photo and description.
Photo: Attractions of Abu Dhabi.
What to see in Abu Dhabi on your own
A few decades ago, the capital of the UAE was a desert, but after the discovery of oil, the city began to develop rapidly. Today, in addition to the attractions in Abu Dhabi (UAE), modern, futuristic buildings have been grown, created in accordance with innovative technologies.
Many tourists who managed to independently see the capital of the UAE note that the city resembles the fantasy of a science fiction writer. And not surprising, because in every attraction of Abu Dhabi on the map a huge amount of money is invested. Let’s see what you can see in the most expensive capital of the world on your own.
Sheikh Zayed Mosque
The attraction is a symbol of Islam and the most visited place in Abu Dhabi. The construction of the mosque was completed in 2007, and a year later, representatives of all faiths were allowed to enter it. The attraction of the mosque is expressed in majestic architecture and rich materials – marble, color crystals, semiprecious stones.
- the attraction is located between the three bridges Maqta, Mussafah and Sheikh Zayed;
- it is most convenient to get on your own from the bus station – by buses 32, 44 or 54, stop – Zayed Mosque;
- You can watch the mosque on all days except Friday from 9-00 to 12-00;
- the entrance is free.
More information about the mosque is presented in this article .
Local residents expressed their love for falconry in a rather interesting form – Falcon Hospital is the only medical institution in the world where they treat hunting birds, educate them and train them. Be sure to visit the attraction, especially if traveling with children.
The medical center offers a complete list of medical services for birds. Since its existence – since 1999 – more than 75 thousand falcons have been treated in hospitals. Each year, about 10 thousand birds enter the clinic for examination and treatment.
Interesting fact! Today, the services of the hospital are used not only by residents of Abu Dhabi and the United Arab Emirates, but also by many states of the Middle East – Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait.
Thanks to a powerful, modern technical base and highly qualified specialists, another medical facility was opened at the hospital to help all birds. And in 2007, in Abu Dhabi, a center for helping all pets was opened.
For tourists, the Center provides for certain hours of visits, you can visit the museum yourself, take a walk among the aviaries with unique breeds of birds and listen to fascinating stories about the life and habits of falcons. Be sure to bring a camera with you to take unusual photos.
Note! If you want to have a meal, you are hospitably taken to a traditional Arabian tent, where you can enjoy a hearty dinner flavored with oriental flavor.
- The schedule of visiting the Falcon Hospital for tourists: from Sunday to Thursday, from 10-00 to 14-00;
- if you want to see the hospital for birds on your own, the date and time must be booked in advance;
- the hospital is located near the Abu Dhabi airport, a few kilometers from the Swayhan Bridge;
- to get far and difficult on your own, the best solution is to take a taxi;
- official website: www.falconhospital.com.
Ferrari World Theme Park
A unique attraction built on the island of Yas and annually attracts millions of tourists who love speed, adrenaline and just want to see powerful sports cars. The park fully reflects the love of local people for luxury and the desire to live a grand life.
Good to know! You can get to the park from three airports – the road from the capital airport will take 10 minutes, from Dubai airport – 1.5 hours and from Sharjah airport – 2 hours.
The park is a covered structure with an area of 86 thousand square meters. and a height of 45 meters. The main element of the attraction is a glass tunnel, and the most visited attraction is an imitator of the most famous race in the world – Formula 1.
- a children’s training track with a professional instructor is installed in the park;
- There are several restaurants in the park;
- The cost of tickets for visiting the park for one day: adult – 295 AED, for children over 3 years old and senior citizens – 230 AED, children under three years old admission is free.
For more information about the park and its attractions, see this page .
Formula 1 race track
If you are a passionate fan of speed and racing, be sure to book a tour of one of the most popular Formula 1 tracks in the world – Yas Marina. The company offers travelers different thematic programs depending on the degree of preparation of the tourist and his wishes:
- “Racing car driving lessons”;
- “Driving lessons”.
The cost of independent passage of the race track depends on the selected car. If you want to drive a race car with an open cab, you will have to pay 1,200 AED. For true racing enthusiasts, the company offers a tour of the track in a real racing car. The price of the trip is 1500 AED. Check-in is fixed by cameras installed along the entire length of the track, so you can keep memories of visiting the track as a keepsake.
Another offer of the company is a maneuverable car that will allow you to develop maximum speed and go through all the turns of the track. The cost of the service is 1500 AED.
Interesting fact! Various events are held on the track. One of the most popular is the Yas Drift night. This is a night race where everyone can demonstrate their abilities for two minutes. The event lasts four hours. Ticket price – 600 AED. If you want to take part in races, you must register.
- To see the race track yourself, you need to book a date and time;
- free bikes are provided for guests to ride the entire track;
- water coolers are installed along the entire route;
- on the official website, track the days of free access to the track;
- Buses E-100 and E-101 regularly leave for the island from the airport, buses leave from Al-Wadha stop, following the island, you can also take a taxi;
- comfortable hotels were built near the highway, there is a Formula 1 theme park and other attractions;
- tickets can be purchased on the website or at the box office;
- official website: www.yasmarinacircuit.com/en.
Louvre Museum Abu Dhabi
The attraction in the capital of the UAE, although it bears the name of the famous French museum, is not its branch. The project participants are representatives of the UAE and the Association of Museums of France. Under the terms of the agreement, the French famous museum for ten years provided the Arabian landmark with its illustrious name and some exhibits.
Interesting to know! Tourists who were fortunate enough to visit the Arabic version of the Louvre note that it is impossible to convey the sights of luxury and atmosphere of the place. Only once inside the museum, you can independently feel the magical beauty of creation.
Externally, the museum does not cause vivid emotions – a dome made of steel seems too simple and to some extent even plain-looking. However, such an architectural and design solution was not chosen by chance. External simplicity only sets off the luxury and richness of the interior. Through the dome, decorated with lace carvings, light is reflected and transforms the inner chambers surrounded by sea water. Halls with exhibits are in the form of white cubes, between which there is water.
The author of the museum’s project notes that the architecture of the attraction is as simple as possible, intellectual, connected with nature and space.
The new museum in Abu Dhabi is an ambitious project, symbolizing the unification of cultures and open spaces. In the halls, architectural and historical monuments of different eras peacefully coexist.
- the museum was built on the island of Saadiyat;
- You can independently see the exhibits on Thursday, Friday – from 10-00 to 22-00, Tuesday, Wednesday and weekends – from 10-00 to 20-00, Monday – day off;
- ticket price: adult – 60 AED, teenage (from 13 to 22 years old) – 30 AED, children under 13 visit the museum for free;
- official website: louvreabudhabi.ae.
See also: How to behave in the Emirates – the main rules of conduct .
Etihad towers and observation deck
What to see in Abu Dhabi? Experienced tourists will undoubtedly recommend the Etihad skyscraper. The attraction is a complex of five fancifully curved towers; this is a unique project where you can live, work, shop and enjoy life to the fullest. The tallest structure, 300 meters high, is residential, in two other buildings there are office premises, another tower is a luxurious five-star hotel. Also, a significant area of the attraction is reserved for trade pavilions.
In addition, one of the highest observation platforms is equipped here – Observation Deck at 300. You can view Abu Dhabi and the Persian Gulf from the height of the 75th floor of the second tower of the complex. The observation deck belongs to the Jumeirah Hotel. A cafe is open here, a recreation area is equipped and telescopes are installed.
Avenue at Etihad Towers is a collection of the most luxurious boutiques. People come here to shop in silence and solitude in special VIP rooms.
Interesting fact! The attraction is marked third in the list of the most beautiful skyscrapers in the world. The architectural complex received a prestigious international award, which has been awarded exclusively to skyscrapers since 2000.
- You can watch the observation deck yourself every day from 10-00 to 18-00;
- Ticket price: 75 AED, for children under 4 years old admission is free;
- a landmark is located next to the Emirates Palace;
- official website: www.etihadtowers.ae/index.aspx.
Mushrif Central Park
What to see in Abu Dhabi – a landmark located in the heart of the capital of the Emirates – Mushrif Park. Today, the attraction is called Umm Al Emarat Park – this is the oldest park area in Abu Dhabi.
Interesting fact! Initially, only women with children could visit the park, but after the reconstruction, the park area is open to everyone.
In the park you can see many interesting places:
- cool house – a design for unique plant species for which a special microclimate has been created;
- amphitheater – an open-air platform for 1000 people;
- lawn for rest;
- evening garden;
- children’s farm, where wonderful animals live – camels, ponies, kids.
The park has two observation platforms, from where you can see the entire park and surrounding areas.
Interesting fact! The park has more than two hundred trees planted for the opening of the sights in 1980.
- the park has a well-developed infrastructure;
- entrance fee – 10 AED;
- every Friday and Saturday, the park hosts an event resembling a fair, free yoga classes are also organized;
- visiting hours: from 8-00 to 22-00;
- Address: Turn at Al Karamah Street.
Note: What to bring from Dubai and the UAE as a gift?
Waterpark Yas Waterworld
The entertainment complex, built on the island of Yas, is more like a futuristic building. Here you can relax with the whole family. On an area of 15 hectares there are more than 40 attractions, five of them are unique, they have no analogues in the whole world.
The schedule of the park depends on the time of year. The price of a regular ticket is 250 AED, for children under 3 years old admission is free. More information about the cost of visiting, types of tickets and attractions is presented here . Before visiting, be sure to read the rules of rest in the park.
Located in Al-Bahi and has been welcoming guests since 2008. This is the first private zoo in the country. The area of the zoo is more than 90 thousand square meters. Here you can watch wild animals and even feed them yourself.
On a note! For a very nominal fee, you can purchase food and treat the inhabitants of the zoo. The guides will tell you in detail about the habits of animals and tell you how to properly care for them.
The territory of the attraction is divided into several zones:
- where do primates live;
- park area;
- territory where flamingos and giraffes live;
- area for predators;
Interesting fact! In total, about 660 species of animals live in the zoo.
Comfortable living and visiting conditions are created for animals and visitors – cooling systems are installed throughout the territory. Gift shops are also available. Near the zoo there is an entertainment area Funscapes.
- The zoo is located in the north-eastern part of Abu Dhabi;
- You can see the attraction on your own from Thursday to Saturday from 9-30 to 21-00, from Sunday to Wednesday – from 9-30 to 20-00;
- ticket price: adult – 30 AED, a ticket that entitles you to attend the show – 95 AED, the price of pet food – 15 AED;
- official website: www.emiratesparkzooandresort.com/.
Prices on the page are for September 2018.
The capital of the UAE occupies about 70% of the country. This is a real garden city, small New York. Abu Dhabi – attractions spiced with oriental spices, Arab traditions and luxury. Now you know what to do in the capital, and what to see on your own when you are bored with relaxing on the beach.
All the attractions of the city of Abu Dhabi described in this article are marked on the map below.