Bodrum is the famous resort of Turkey on the coast of the Aegean Sea, which can please with a rich tourist infrastructure, picturesque beaches and unique landscapes. For a long time the city was considered a vacation spot exclusively for the British, but today, more and more often, our tourists discover this unique place. Bodrum, the sights of which will attract both history buffs and connoisseurs of pristine nature, can rightfully be considered one of the best resorts in Turkey and is ready to provide all the necessary conditions for a decent vacation.
If you plan to visit this small town and organize excursions on your own, then you are very welcome to open our article – a guide to the most remarkable corners of the resort. In order to make it more convenient for you to navigate in the objects we are describing, we advise you to study the map of Bodrum with attractions in Russian at the bottom of the page.
St. Peter Castle
One of the most interesting sights in Bodrum in Turkey will plunge you into the world of history and allow you to travel back to ancient eras. The castle is in excellent condition and is a whole complex, including several exhibitions. Here you can visit the Museum of Underwater Archeology, look into the gallery of glass and amphora, look at the remains of a 14th-century ship. Be sure to climb the Commander’s Tower, which offers an incredible panorama of the picturesque hills and the sea. Within the walls of the fortress there is a lush garden with pomegranates, mulberry, aloe and quince, and beautiful peacocks imposingly walk in its shadow.
St. Peter’s Castle in Bodrum is a must-see, and for your tour to go as comfortably as possible, pay special attention to the useful information below:
- Attraction is open daily from 8:30 to 18:30.
- Entrance fee is 30 TL ($ 7.5). The price includes access to the entire historical complex, including museums.
- To look at all the iconic objects of the fortress yourself, you will need at least 2 hours.
- The castle is best visited in the morning or afternoon when the sun falls.
- Be sure to bring bottled water with you, as there are no shops on the site of the attraction.
- Do not purchase an audio guide: it malfunctions and gives a minimum of information. It is best to read information about the castle online on the eve of the tour.
- Address: Kale Cad., Bodrum, Turkey.
Zeki Muren Museum Museum
If you don’t know what to see in Bodrum on your own, we recommend that you look into the house of Zeki Muren. The gallery is dedicated to the famous master of music and cinema in Turkey or, as it is often called, Turkish Elvis Presley. It is noteworthy that the singer had a non-traditional orientation, but this did not stop him from gaining popular love in a rather conservative country. The museum is a small house where Muren spent the last years of his life. The singer’s extravagant stage costumes, his personal belongings, awards and photographs are exhibited here. Outside you can see the statue of the artist and his car. Climbing to the second floor of the building, you will find picturesque views of the harbor.
- In the period from April 15 to October 2, the attraction is open from Tuesday to Sunday from 8:00 to 19:00. From October 3 to April 14, the facility is open from 8:00 to 17:00. Monday is a day off.
- The price of admission is 5 TL ($ 1.25).
- There is information that the museum can only be reached by taxi, but it is not entirely reliable. Not far from the gallery is a public stop where city buses run.
- At the ticket office, only Turkish lira and cards are accepted for ticket payment.
- To make your tour really informative and interesting, we advise you to study the biography of the singer on the Internet in advance.
- Where to find: Zeki Muren Cad. Icmeler Yolu No: 12 | Bodrum Merkez, Bodrum, Turkey.
Diving (Aquapro Dive Center)
If you are in doubt, what to see and where to go to Bodrum on your own, undoubtedly go for diving. The resort is famous for its unique places for diving, and on its territory there are several dive clubs that organize group trips to the sea. Among such companies, the Aquapro Dive Center has earned special trust. A group of professionals works here, which arranges dives at the highest level. At the disposal of divers is high-quality equipment, and all movements during the event take place on a comfortable boat. The club is suitable for both beginners and professionals, as instructors divide all tourists into groups according to the level of training.
- The cost of a diving tour depends on the number of dives, so check with the center for more details, whose contact details can be found on aquapro-turkey.com.
- During the dives, the club’s photographers take your pictures under water, which can be purchased after the event.
- Address: Bitez Mahallesi, Bitez 48960, Turkey.
Bodrum Museum of Underwater Archeology
Among the attractions of Bodrum, it is worth highlighting the Museum of Underwater Archeology, which is located in St. Peter’s Castle. Here you will find not just a dusty collection of lifeless relics, but unique, skillful and breathtaking artifacts. The museum displays exhibits dating back to the Bronze Age, archaic, classical antique and Hellenistic periods. In the gallery you can see hundreds of amphorae of various shapes and sizes that have been raised from the seabed. It also displays the wreckage of ancient ships, as well as all kinds of shells and glass products.
- It is possible to visit the object on your own as part of a general tour of St. Peter’s Castle, the cost of an entrance ticket to which is 30 TL ($ 7.5).
- The attraction is in a large complex, you will have to walk a lot, so be sure to wear comfortable shoes.
- Location: Castle of St. Peter, Bodrum, Turkey.
Port and promenade Milta Bodrum Marina
If you choose what to see in Bodrum in Turkey, do not forget to include Milt Bodrum Marina on your tour list. This is the heart and soul of the resort town, where it is simply impossible not to visit. The picturesque and cozy place is perfect for leisurely walks, both in the afternoon and in the evening. Closer to sunset, beautiful lights are lit on the embankment, and the street is filled with many tourists. A special atmosphere is created by ships moored to the shore, among which there are luxurious yachts and modest boats. Here are a variety of cafes and restaurants, shops of world brands and national products. Many establishments work until late, so lovers of nightlife will especially like the place. It is curious that the roads from the city center to the pier are made of white marble, which only emphasizes the importance and respectability of the marina.
- The attraction is located in the heart of the city, so you can get here on your own from almost anywhere in Bodrum.
- Near the marina, they sometimes sell seafood, but the prices here are several times too high, so be careful and bargain.
- Address: Neyzen Tevfik Caddesi, No: 5 | Bodrum 48400, Turkey.
This landmark of Bodrum, whose photo clearly speaks of its belonging to the ancient era, is located in a mountainous area in the north of the city. Thanks to the restoration work, the amphitheater is in excellent condition, but in size it is inferior to other similar structures that are located in other parts of Turkey. The theater can accommodate up to 15 thousand spectators and today acts as a platform for various concerts and music events. It offers a beautiful view of the nearby bay, so tourists have the opportunity to take unique pictures. The downside of the construction is the fact that it is located near the highway, so you will not be able to completely plunge into the atmosphere of antiquity.
- You can see the landmark from Tuesday to Sunday from 8:00 to 19:00. Monday is a day off.
- The entrance is free.
- Going on an excursion to the amphitheater, wear comfortable shoes.
- It is best to visit the property in the morning and afternoon, as it is quite hot here during the day, even in the fall months.
- Be sure to bring bottled water with you.
- Address: Yeniköy Mahallesi, 48440 Bodrum, Turkey.
Among the attractions of Bodrum and its environs, ancient white-stone mills can be distinguished. They are located in a picturesque place between Bodrum and Gumbet, where they have been standing for more than three hundred years. And although the buildings themselves are in a dilapidated state and do not cause much interest, the breathtaking panorama opening from the mountains makes this area a must to visit. On the one hand, from here you can admire beautiful views of Bodrum and the castle of St. Peter, and on the other – on Gumbet Bay. They reach the mills both on their own in a rented transport, and as part of an excursion tour. There is a cafe on site that offers a rare drink – freshly squeezed pomegranate juice.
- Going to the sights, do not forget to bring a camera with you, because there is the opportunity to take unforgettable pictures.
- Address: Haremtan Sk., Eskiçeşme Mahallesi, 48400 Bodrum, Turkey.
Ancient Pedasa (Pedasa Antique City)
On a vast territory 7 km north of Bodrum are the remains of the ancient city of Pedas. The ruins of ancient houses and wells, the acropolis and the ruins of the temple of Athens – all this will take you tens of centuries ago and allow you to plunge into ancient history. And although the ancient city is similar to many other identical places in Turkey, it’s still worth a look here: after all, this attraction of Bodrum can be visited independently for free at any time.
- Go on a tour of the city in the morning, when it is not so hot and few people here.
- Since you have to move around the ruins and boulders, it is better to find comfortable things and shoes.
- Address: Merkez Konacik, Bodrum, Bodrum, Turkey.
Prices on the page are for May 2108.
Here, perhaps, are all the most interesting objects that are worth seeing in Bodrum and the surrounding area. Almost any excursion can be organized independently, without overpaying money for tours. Do not forget to use our tips to make the events as interesting and comfortable as possible. And then, having visited Bodrum, sights and unique natural areas, you will capture only the most pleasant memories in your memory.
The described sights of Bodrum are marked on the map in Russian.
What Bodrum looks like, also watch this video.