If you want to relax from the bustle of Pattaya and enjoy the beach set in picturesque surroundings, you should go to the military beach in Pattaya – a place that most tourists do not know about yet.
Military beach is located 25 km from the city of Pattaya, in the northern part of the peninsula. It got its name due to the fact that once there was a military base on this territory. Also, this place is often referred to as the “Blue Lagoon”, due to the picturesque rainforest surrounding the beach.
In guides and maps, Pattaya’s military beach is referred to as Sai Kaew Beach.
How to get to the beach from Pattaya on your own
Getting to the military beach in Pattaya is not at all difficult, because it is connected to nearby cities by an asphalt road. There are several options:
This option is the cheapest, but also the most inconvenient. Landing is carried out on the Sukhumvit highway (there is no specific stop) leading from Pattaya to the beach along the sea. It is necessary to sit in a tuk-tuk of white color and be sure to tell the driver where to stop. However, getting to the songteo will be possible only to the checkpoint. The remaining distance will either have to go on foot or rent a taxi. A ride in a tuk-tuk (songteo) will cost 20 baht. Ply every 10-15 minutes. There is no exact timetable.
The most expensive but easiest way to get from the ambassador beach to the military beach. The cost of a trip from Pattaya to a military beach will cost 300-400 baht. The price depends on your bargaining ability and persistence of the driver.
You can get to the military beach in Pattaya by yourself on a rented transport. You must go to the Sukhumvit highway, and drive straight for 25 km. After you will see the checkpoint with the Thai military – and here you need to turn off. If the soldiers are there, they will ask you why you came here and ask for a passport. If there are no military men at the entrance, then you must leave your documents on your own (this can be either a passport or a driver’s license) in a booth, take a special piece of paper, which you will be asked to show at the second checkpoint (somewhere after 200 meters).
After examining the documents and the vehicle, you need to get to the ticket office (distance – 4-5 km). There are plenty of pointers here, so getting lost won’t work. After buying a ticket at the ticket office of the beach, you must leave the car in the parking lot and transfer to a free tuk-tuk, which runs here every 7-8 minutes. Travel time is about 10 minutes.
Remember that when traveling to Sai Kaew Beach, the military carefully checks all the documents, so everything should be in order. Please note that in order to drive a vehicle in Thailand, you must have a Thai driver’s license. In his absence, the offender is almost always fined $ 12.
This is the easiest option. It is enough to purchase an interesting excursion in one of the tourist centers in Pattaya and set off to travel. In addition to the beach itself, guides usually take tourists to the monkey island and to the coral reef. A group can have from 10 to 40 people. The price of such a trip will be 60-90 dollars. The tour usually lasts 7-8 hours.
What does the beach look like?
The total length of the coastline is 400 m. The right side of the military beach in Thailand is less popular with vacationers, because the coast is stony, there is no infrastructure. But the left side is a great choice for those who want to swim. In this part, the sand is fine, occasionally shell rock and small pebbles are found.
The entrance to the sea is gentle, and the water during the low tide goes almost 50 meters, leaving behind small lakes and puddles that children will definitely like. Since the beach is a lagoon sandwiched between two rocks, there are practically no waves and strong winds here. Unlike many other Thai beaches, the water here is quite clean, but garbage does happen occasionally.
On this beach in Pattaya there are many sprawling trees that give enough shade so that everyone can hide from the scorching sun. Several gazebos and large straw umbrellas are also installed.
The beach is quite wide, and, since there are always a few people because of the inconvenient location, there is enough space for everyone. There is no problem with the infrastructure on the beach: there are toilets, changing cabins and showers. You can also rent for an additional fee:
|Beach mat||20 (+ deposit 80)|
|Swimming circle||10 (+ deposit 50)|
|Deck chair||30 (+ deposit 100)|
The cost of visiting the beach: 100 baht for adults and 50 for children. Tickets can be purchased at the box office at the entrance.
What to do on the beach. Entertainment and their cost
Sai Kaew Beach is a beach for those who want to relax from the bustling city and enjoy the silence, so there is not much entertainment here:
- Jet ski or jet ski. They can be rented directly on the beach in Pattaya, and the instructor, if necessary, will teach you to use these shells. Price for 20 min. – 1000 baht, 30 min. – 1500.
- Banana boat and rowing boat. Boat rental will cost a little cheaper than a jet ski or water ski. Cost for 60 min. will be 1300 baht (+ deposit 100).
- Diving. There are many divers-instructors on the beach who are ready to teach everyone to dive with an affordable price for an affordable price. Usually they can be found on the right side of the beach – there the sea is deeper. The price per hour of classes varies from 15 to 40 dollars.
- Stroll. It will be interesting and easy to walk along the beach – many rare plants for Thailand have been planted here, as well as dolphin sculptors. There are many well-kept flower beds and flower arrangements.
- Excursion. Excursions to coral reefs are also provided. The guide, along with a group of 10 people, swims to the reefs on a boat with a transparent bottom, so the marine inhabitants and picturesque corals will be clearly visible. By the way, it is in this place that tourists take the best photos of the military beach in Pattaya. Price – 1,500 baht.
- Feeding the monkeys. The organizers of such exotic entertainment can be found in the central part of the beach. When a group of 10 people gathers, the guides take tourists to the monkey island, where you can feed the primates. Cost – $ 45. At the same time, it is not recommended to take small and shiny things with you that monkeys can take for memory.
As for housing in Pattaya, there are several expensive hotels nearby, as well as a bungalow hotel, accommodation in which will cost from $ 30 per night for two.
Where to eat
Sai Kaew Beach Pattaya has just a few restaurants and cafes. The menu is quite diverse: both traditional Thai dishes (fried rice with basil, Tom Yam Kung, Pad Thai, Kung Keo Van) are presented, as well as European cuisine (steaks, french fries, chicken with rice, soup).
The most inexpensive lunch will cost 100 baht per one, but usually you have to give 200-300 for one meal:
|Dish / Drink||Cost (baht)|
|Tom Yam Kung (king prawn soup)||230|
|Pad Thai (rice with shrimp and vegetables)||180|
|Kao Na Fet (Roast Duck)||300|
|Kao Niy Mu Young (pork skewers)||200|
|French fries||one hundred|
|Cabbage salad||one hundred|
|Kao Newg Ma Muang (mango with rice)||110|
|San Kaya Fu Tong (custard pumpkin)||130|
|Cha Yen (Thai Iced Tea)||35|
Since the beach is located on the territory of the former military base in Pattaya and it is not so easy to get here, the nightlife is completely absent. There are no nightclubs and restaurants working until late either on the beach or in neighboring villages. Life in this area freezes after 18.00.
- Do not forget to bring your passport, which will be required when passing the checkpoint.
- In the wildest and least visited places on the beach, there is a risk of encountering aggressive monkeys. If the meeting took place, try not to get too close to them, and carefully watch out for small (especially shiny) things. Try to get to a crowded place faster.
- Visit the military beach in Thailand is better on weekdays when there are few people here. Thai families often have picnics here on weekends.
- After 6 p.m. life on the beach freezes: all restaurants close and rental offices finish their work.
- On holidays, getting to the beach by car will not work, as entry into the vehicle is prohibited.
- In Thailand, only a Thai driver’s license is valid.
The military beach in Pattaya will appeal to those who want to spend a vacation in peace and quiet. It is definitely not worth going here to have fun and engage in extreme sports. Young and active people here will most likely be bored, but for couples and families with children this place is suitable.
A short video about a family trip to the beach: