Are you going to Vienna and want to save? With Vienna city card, this is very easy. This useful assistant will open any doors and allow you to enjoy your vacation in full.
What it is?
Vienna City Card (Vienna card or Vienna ticket) is a tourist pass, the holders of which have a great chance to save their money, as well as time and nerves. Here is the full list of benefits.
|Map of the Hop-On Hop-Off bus tour of Vienna.||To visit museums, theaters, attractions and concerts.|
|Booklet with promotions and special offers of boutiques, cafes, wine bars, restaurants and Heuriger taverns.||For shopping at some retail outlets.|
|Directions in public transport for 24/48/72 hours.||To visit places of catering.|
|A guide with detailed maps and descriptions of the main tourist places (addresses, opening hours, route and way to get).||To travel by commuter trains and CAT trains (from the airport to the city center).|
|Travel Guide Fashion, Art & Design.||To stay in the waiting rooms.|
But that’s not all! Holders of the Vienna Card receive a subscription to visit more than 60 of Vienna’s most famous sights – Belvedere Castle, the Spanish Riding School, Beethoven House, Josephine, the giant Ferris wheel, the Imperial Tomb, Otto Wagner Pavilion, etc.
Important! The list of places of interest often changes – you can check it on the official website of the Vienna Card – www.viennacitycard.at.
As you can see, the Vienna ticket allows you not only to save money, but also to plan your day in advance. And most importantly, you do not have to stand in lines and spend precious time looking for an object.
What is included?
The list of Vienna Card discounts depends on its type. Consider all the options.
Red Vienna City Card Wiener Linien:
- Free use of all types of municipal transport;
- More than 200 discounts;
- Possibility of a free transfer for 1 child under the age of 15 years (only with the card holder, you need to have a passport or birth certificate with you!).
White Vienna City Card Big Bus Vienna:
- Sightseeing bus ticket;
- Guided walk through the night streets;
- Day walking tour of Vienna with a guide;
- More than 200 discounts;
- Possibility of a free transfer for 1 child under 16 years of age (only with the card holder, you need to have a passport or birth certificate with you!).
Important! Even having bought a Vienna card, you cannot save on the transfer to the airport, because it is not included in the price. In this case, you will need a separate ticket, which can be purchased at electric train stations in vending machines.
Cost of cards
The cost of Vienna City Card depends on its type and duration.
|Map view||Validity||Price in Euro|
How it works?
To answer the question: “How to save money in Vienna using a tourist card?”, You need to understand the principle of its work. Here are the main nuances:
- Validity starts from the moment of activation;
- To obtain discounts you must have an identity card with you. Otherwise, save will not work;
- Free travel in municipal transport extends for 24/48/72 hours from the moment of activation, but discounts on visits to various places are valid until the end of the day;
- Upon entering the museum or any other institution, the card must be presented to the employee – he will put a stamp on it or write the date in pen;
- Before starting the first trip by bus or metro, Vienna City Card must be validated – the ticket is not valid without the composter mark;
- It is allowed to use both paper and electronic forms (if this is a mobile application);
- A non-activated card can be used on any of 365 days from the date of purchase;
- Vienna City Card is personalized, so you can save on it by buying only one ticket.
Important! A detailed guide to using Vienna City Card can be found in the coupon book that comes with it. It also lists the shops, restaurants and places of interest covered by these coupons.
Where and how can I buy?
There are several ways to buy Vienna city card.
Method 1. In the Tourist Information Centers.
There are several in Vienna:
- Albertinaplatz (Albertinaplatz Square) – Mon-Fri from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m .;
- Wien Hauptbahnhof 1 Central Station – Mon-Fri from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m .;
- Wien-Schwechat Airport – Mon-Fri from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Method 2. At points of sale Vienna lines.
There are several options:
- Karlsplatz (main city square);
- Stephansplatz (Stephen’s Square);
- Westbahnhof (West Station);
Method 3. In the mobile application for iOS and Android (available in both English and German).
Method 4. In the online store – www.viennacitycard.at/index.php?lang=RU.
Method 5. At the hotel at the reception.
Important! Vienna City Card, ordered online, is entitled to additional discounts and offers. You can get it as follows:
- Having ordered delivery by international mail – the cost of the service is indicated when placing the order, the delivery time is about 30 days;
- Immediately upon arrival, exchanging for a voucher at information centers;
- Having independently printed it on a printer – it has the same power as the purchased one.
Is it worth buying?
Buying a Vienna Card will be advisable only if you are planning a long and eventful vacation. For example, you can save € 2.40 at the entrance to the Museum of Applied Arts, € 3 for city tours, about € 4 for lunch at the Kardos restaurant, and the same amount for organ concerts. By adding regular public transport to the area, which will also cost a pretty penny, you can get some good savings. Those who are going to walk around the city on foot and see only a couple of sights will calmly manage without a tourist map.
Be that as it may, the presence of the Vienna City Card gives a feeling of complete freedom and allows you not to think about the budget.